MotoMummy Zero Gravity & Puig Windscreen Review

63 replies to this topic

#1 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,403 posts
  • Bike: 07 GSXR 1000 & 99 R1

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

edited 12/27/2010 to attach the Zero Gravity Corsa information.

As I'm sure most know the two most popular names for quality windscreens are Zero Gravity and Puig.

What they have in common.

Both do not come with the bolts/well nuts to mount them. These are purchased separately or you can reuse your oem hardware.
If you go with a double bubble just know that if the sun (on a very hot day) hits the inside of the screen it can reflect downward on the gauge cluster and burn the cluster. This is why both manufacturers always recommend parking nose first into the sun if you purchase a double bubble. Again, this happens by the sun being behind the bike and hitting the inside of the shield and then reflecting downward. It's not very common to have it burn the cluster, but in rare occurrences it does happen.

First I'll start out by the differences.

1. Zero Gravity is .5 mm thinner then the Puig screens.
-This gives much better optical clarity. This is very noticeable between the two.
2. Puig at the base of all of their screens has a black shaded area to cover the wires behind the gauge cluster. Zero Gravity dos not have this.
3. Zero Gravity has stickers on the side of their screens that can be peeled off.
4. We offer the Zero Gravity screens in Dark Smoke, Smoke aka Light Smoke, Clear, Blue, Red, fluorescent Blue.
-The fluorescent color is just a very light shade. So you only see the color in certain lighting. It looks more clear then colored.
-The Zero Gravity colors are all very true to color.
5. Puig offers dark smoke, smoke, clear, black, and carbon fiber look, with every bike option. Only certain bike models they then offer blue, red, yellow, orange, and green depending on what color that bike was sold in.
-Black and Carbon fiber look are not transparent and you cannot see through them.
-It's rare, but at times the dark smoke Puig will have a slight purplish color depending on the lighting.
-Most Puig screens have a logo on the front like the R1 logo, R6, etc. Dark smoke NEVER has this logo on any bike model. Black comes with the logo and without so it's hit or miss. Also not all bike models have the logo as Puig has been contacted by manufacturers about trademarked logo's so they had to stop on some models. It's basically hit or miss with the logo's.
6. Puig offers a Double Bubble design and a standard, however, the double bubble is the most common in America by far.
7. Zero Gravity offers a Standard, Double Bubble, Corsa, and a Touring (not very popular).

With both brands one thing to note is you do NOT want to use chemicals on the screens to clean them. If you use a chemical you risk destroying the material which will greatly hinder the clarity and it's even possible to crack the screen by using the wrong chemicals. If you do want to use a chemical it's best to contact the manufacturer and ask prior to using it if it safe on the windscreen.

The double bubble design was designed to give better aerodynamics to get the wind over the rider and his shoulders.

Zero Gravity designed the Corsa after many racers stated that the double bubble design just didn't give enough wind protection. Mat Mladin was one of these people and started using the Corsa right away along with many Isle of Man riders and racers all over the world. If you're after the best in protection the Zero Gravity Corsa is it.

Below you can see the Zero Gravity color line up. In the picture the dark smoke and smoke do not show their clarity very well due to the lighting. Out under the sun you can easily see through both very well. Dark smoke is in the upper left with smoke in the upper right. Red is in the bottom left followed by clear, fluorescent blue, and then blue.
Posted Image

Puig Clear
Posted Image

Puig Smoke
Posted Image

Puig Green
Posted Image

Puig Dark Smoke
Posted Image

Puig Yellow
Posted Image

Puig Black
Posted Image

Puig Carbon Look
Posted Image

Puig Red
Posted Image

About a year ago Zero Gravity released their Corsa series. Zero Gravity designed this version of screen after many of their sponsored racers wanted more protection then the double bubble. So Zero Gravity designed the Corsa with a slightly taller profile and it has one large bubble instead of two like the double bubble design. This is designed for the guy who wants the best aero's and performance out of their screen. Mladin has used this screen along with many other racers from AMA, WSBK, to the Isle of Man race series. Below is a picture showing the profile of the Corsa compared to the double bubble. Below that is a picture of a few of their racers using it in action. We currently run this model on the MotoMummy shop bike.

Attached File  zg-02.jpg (73.03K)
Number of downloads: 124

Attached File  corsa2.jpg (109.54K)
Number of downloads: 101
Attached File  corsa4.jpg (106.32K)
Number of downloads: 59
Attached File  corsa5.jpg (126.22K)
Number of downloads: 58
Attached File  corsa1.jpg (72.11K)
Number of downloads: 40
Corey
-------
Posted Image
Where all shipping is free.

#2 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

Also if any of you have any questions please post them here. I'm sure we missed some stuff so if you're wondering others are too. Post them up and we'll get them answered :moped
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#3 R1Lover

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 411 posts
  • Bike: 07 R1, 05 V-Rod

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

Good information........
Posted Image

#4 Moto_Joe

• MotoMummy Sponsored Rider
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

I have used both on my track bike.

I prefer the zero gravity. If for no other reason, the puig although thicker, cracked at the mounting holes due to vibrations, where the zero gravity never has.

For a track bike, clarity, and function matter. Nothing else really does.
Posted Image
MotoMummy.com :US129photos:D&A cycles : Livengood Motorsports : VHS : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust :Moto-D racing : Hazardous Racing : Dunlop : SBS : SFH www.GoMotoJoe.com
2012 WERA National Challenge 5th place
WERA Expert #20

#5 Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Bike: 07 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info. My bike actually came with the Puig standard in clear so it has the logo. I just spray tinted the screen myself to save some cash. All in all it seems to be well made and fitment is great.

#6 deadbox88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

I use the zero gravity DB windscreen. For me it works great. I'm 6'2" so for street riding it is much easier to see my gauges with the new windscreen. The screen is great for aggressive riding, pushing the wind over my head and shoulders while in the tucked position. However, the Dark Smoke is very dark. Barely visible while in the tucked position. This is the one downside that I would change. I have to keep my head up just enough for my eyes to pear over the windscreen.

2008 Honda CBR600RR - Zero Gravity DB Windscreen (Dark Smoke)
Posted Image
Posted Image
If the equation is A=X+Y+Z, and A equals SUCCESS. Then X equals work, Y equals play, and Z equals shut your mouth.

#7 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for adding the pics guys :) I'm sure it will help people make up their decision.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#8 Moto_Joe

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

For track riding, I prefer a double bubble.

For the street, I am in the minority. I preferred standard. Double bubble seemed to shoot the air right into the chin area of my helmet and buffet more, and was noisier. Rather than the wind hitting straight in the face (how the helmet is designed to be quietest) , it was hitting under the helmet basically and more noisy.
Posted Image
MotoMummy.com :US129photos:D&A cycles : Livengood Motorsports : VHS : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust :Moto-D racing : Hazardous Racing : Dunlop : SBS : SFH www.GoMotoJoe.com
2012 WERA National Challenge 5th place
WERA Expert #20

#9 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Bike: 05 600

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

I had Double screen from Zerogravity on my 03 600.. i loved it!!! I got this bike with the double bubble PUIG screen.. I do like it too.. But, mines Faded!! IT turned Purple.. :lol you caN SEEit thru the sun... I wish it didnt turn purple.. I wanted it to turn PINK!!! :wub :hump
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#10 HRD07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Got a Zero Gravity on my k7 and a Puig on my k8... both in dark smoke... the puig is VERY purple looking and it stands out even more on a white bike... same problems with it cracking and splintering from sun/vibrations like mentioned above... Definately wish i'd gotten them both zero gravity. lesson learnt.

#11 BuckFarack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Bike: 06 Raven R1

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:48 AM

View PostMikeSuzuki05, on 02 December 2010 - 02:08 AM, said:

I had Double screen from Zerogravity on my 03 600.. i loved it!!! I got this bike with the double bubble PUIG screen.. I do like it too.. But, mines Faded!! IT turned Purple.. :lol you caN SEEit thru the sun... I wish it didnt turn purple.. I wanted it to turn PINK!!! :wub :hump

:kicknuts you need that for gaying up the thread :lol

#12 WickedClownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Bike: 02 GSXR 750

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

Nice review

#13 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Thanks. If you guys have any questions or comments chime in. These reviews are here for informational purposes and the more info the better :)
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#14 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostBUCKFARACK, on 16 December 2010 - 04:48 AM, said:

:kicknuts you need that for gaying up the thread :lol

Owwwwwwwwww, Thanks for the kick in the nuts!! :cry Heres for you :guns
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#15 DISTINCT

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Bike: 09 Yamaha R6

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Idk about zero gravity, I have bought one and it looks like some one shot it a rock hit it and cracked it never seen that befor really disappointed I guess I have to try puig now!!!!

DISTINCTRACING.COM

Sponsored By Motomummy.com

#16 K91K

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Bike: 2009 GSX-R 1000 Red/Black

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Got the Puig racing screen. I really like the shape of the screen. My gripe is with the 1000R LOGO which I wasn't expecting to be there (just covered it up with a decal) and the Black screen looks grey in direct lighting. After reading posts above im just glad its not purple.
Graves full system,K&N race spec air filter,Speed Cell SBK battery,Pazzo short brake/clutch levers,Gilles VCR38-GT rearsets,Driven 520 pitch EK chain and sprocket kit,Michelin Power Pure 2CT tires,Bazzaz Z FI Quick shifter/ Traction control,AFM tuner,K&N high flow oil filter,Braking SK directional rotors,Spiegler steel braided brake lines,Carbon Lorraine SBK5 brake pads, ECUnleashed.

2003 Mustang GT - Dark Gray Project Car
2009 GSXR-1000 - Red/Black Project Bike
2012 Civic Si - White Daily Driver

#17 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

View PostTheNismoShow, on 23 December 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Got the Puig racing screen. I really like the shape of the screen. My gripe is with the 1000R LOGO which I wasn't expecting to be there (just covered it up with a decal) and the Black screen looks grey in direct lighting. After reading posts above im just glad its not purple.

Well, When i mean by purple is The guy before me had this bike with 1200 miles on it back in 2006 and the first mod he done to this bike was the PUIG screen. Everything else was stock. So, when i got the bike, i asked him why the puig screen turned lil purple. he said he leaves the bikes outside in his backyard in every weather condition possible with no cover on it.. So he said the sun musta faded the screen to turn purple.. This guy was not taking care of this 05.. So, i told him, you know what, Let me buy that 05 gsxr600 from you.. he agreed, so i bought it for $6,000 bucks in 06 with 1200 miles on it.. i thought it was a steal. This bike is so happy that shes in my hands.. she been garage kept all of her life now and been well taken care of.. :lol

So, i still have the same windscreen on there.. i never bothered to change it.. But, i am going to tho.. Im staying with PUIG. i love them better than zerogravity
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#18 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

It won't fade as that is the entire color of the material. He must have just gotten one that is a bit more purplish. They don't fade though.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#19 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostMotoMummy, on 25 December 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

It won't fade as that is the entire color of the material. He must have just gotten one that is a bit more purplish. They don't fade though.

Really? Then why does mine look like it is.? I know its not faded. Its not like purple, purple.. you only see some purple tint when you look at from an angle side in the sun.. Its suppose to be "Dark smoke".
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#20 Upgrade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Bike: 07 GSX -R600

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

This is a good review, right now I am using sportech windscreen, but these two windscreen maybe something to look into down the road.
Who me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users