MotoMummy Chain Review

37 replies to this topic

#1 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts
  • Bike: 07 GSXR 1000 & 99 R1

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

We are only going to go over the chains we sell which are the best chains out there by each manufacturer. We don't sell the lower end or budget chains because on modern sportbikes it's not worth the risk. Going with a high end chain will not only help ensure it doesn't break and cost you thousands to replace, but also they will last much longer and in the long run they do cost less as you get many more miles out them.

Let's first start out with all of the chains specs. All chains are weighed at 120 links as well.
Chain           Weight        Tensile Strength      Max cc.
DID ERV3 520    4lbs 3.3oz    8,660                 750cc
RK GXW 520      4lbs 8.8oz    8,800                 1000cc
EK MVXZ 520     4lbs 15.4oz   9,000                 1000cc
EK ZZZ 520      5lbs          9,400                 1000cc
EK MVXZ 530     5lbs 7.6oz    9,900                 1000cc
DID ZVMX 530    6lbs 1.3oz    10,408                1400cc
EK ZZZ 530      6lb           11,400                1100+cc

There are several ways to connect a chain with a master link. You can use a rivet link, clip link, or screw type of link. The rivet link requires a tool to install where the other types do not. However, based on testing by EK the rivet master link is 100% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. The screw type link is about 95% as reliable as the rest of the links in the chain, but in some cases there can be clearance issues with the part that sticks out. The clip link is only about 70% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. Since your chain is only as strong as the weakest link we at MotoMummy only provide rivet links with all chains we sell. It's the safest and most reliable method.

Colors:
DID ERV3=Gold: inner and outer links both gold
RK GXW=Gold: inner and outer links both gold
       Black: inner and outer links both black
EK MVXZ=Black: black outer links and gold inner links
        All other EK chains have silver inner links with colored outer links.  Color options are Gold, Silver, Chrome, Blue, Red, Green, Yellow,    Orange.
EK ZZZ=Gold: Gold outer links with silver innner links (gold flake on outside)
      Silver: Flaked silver outer links with silver inner links
DID ZVMX=Silver: inner and outer links both silver
         Gold:  gold inner and outer links

Many forget when purchasing a chain kit that the entire kit is only as strong as the weakest link. So it makes no sense to get the ek zzz 520 chain (strongest 520 chain) with a hard anodized alum rear sprocket. It's overkill. This is why we do not offer the EK ZZZ 520 chain with hard anodized alum chain kits. For hard anodized alum rear sprockets we would recommend the RK GXW or EK MVXZ chain. These two chains are plenty strong enough for steel rear sprockets as well, however, if you want the absolute longest lasting steel chain kit you can get that would be with the EK ZZZ chain. We would only recommend the EK ZZZ chain (in 520 or 530) with steel sprockets.

One other thing to note with chain is that we do not recommend trying to match colors. Sprocket colors do not match the color of the chain so if you order blue chain and blue sprocket they will be two different shades from each other. Do not expect them to match.

Chain Tips: 1.  Before breaking a chain or cutting it down always grind the heads off the rivets.  This ensures  
                you  don't break your tool trying to remove the pin.
            2.  You can flip your axle around to ensure the axle nut is on the right side of the bike.  This
                way when you tighten the nut down you're pushing into the chain adjuster block and not
                away from it.  Often when it's on the left side you will push the axle away from the adjuster
                which offsets the axle and then you will crank it down tight as it's now a bit crooked.
            3.  After you rivet on the new master link you can grab the plate with pliers from the side and give 
                it a good firm tug. If it doesn't come off then it won't while riding as there is no sideways 
                pressure on the chain.  If you're unsure about your rivet flaring job this is a great way to check.
            4.  With a new chain leave the grease on it that it comes with. It's very good grease.  Just take
                a rag and wipe off the excess grease and go.
            5.  Counting links to find out how short to cut a chain is the best way to mess a chain up.  The
                best way to do it is to install the new sprockets, place the rear wheel where you want it,
                and then wrap the new chain around the new sprockets and physical see and confirm where to cut.
                Also remember when you do this to include account for the oem chain slack that you will need.  You
                can always take off more links if need be so it's best to error on the side of caution when 
                removing links.

RK GXW 520 chains
Posted Image

EK MVXZ 520 chains, in order from top to bottom: Yellow, Black, Chrome, Silver/Natural, Red, Green, Gold, Blue and Orange
Posted Image

EK ZZZ 530 chains
Posted Image
Corey
-------
Posted Image
Where all shipping is free.

#2 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

I know others out there can find stuff we missed or more tips. Post them up so we can add to thread guys :)
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#3 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Bike: 05 600

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Is this true or not? I had another guy from another forum told me.. "You can Mismatch front and rear sprockets??? What????

I have sunstar front sprocket, and AFAM rear sprocket.. Is this bad or something??? :whiteflag
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#4 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

You can miss match them. The important thing is that if the sprockets are 520 sized the chain must be as well. Both sprockets and the chain have to be the same size. Other then that the brand of sprockets doesn't matter. In fact if us (or other dealers) are out of one sprocket brand we'll often substitute it with another brand as long as it's the same specs (we'll notify the customer to ensure he's okay with it though of course).
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#5 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

Okay.. Thats what i thought too.. I got scared when i saw he said that, and i got confused.. :lol

Thanks for clearing that up.. 520 is aftermarket and 525 is OEM
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#6 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

Hey corey... i am gonna get some DRIVEN sprocket nuts... blue ones!!! Do they come in a pack of 6 like the probolts ones?? or are they 23.00 individuals??? i need to know, so i can have my dad go ahead and order all the stuff i want for christmas!!! :lol :)
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#7 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

they come in a pack of 6. You want some blue nuts huh :hammerhead
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#8 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

:lol :rofl Yes i do . :kicknuts
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#9 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

Woohoo!! Blue NUTZ - Deez Nuttz! :threesome :bikesex
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#10 MissMummy

The Boss

• Administrators
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:56 AM

Here are some pictrues:

RK GXW 520 chains
Posted Image

EK MVXZ 520 chains, in order from top to bottom: Yellow, Black, Chrome, Silver/Natural, Red, Green, Gold, Blue and Orange
Posted Image

EK ZZZ 530 chains
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Just so you guys know. The chrome chain is very hard to get pictures of, but it's not really a chrome look. It looks more like a slightly more shiny silver. The silver/natural chain doesn't have a finish on it. It's exposed metal so it will rust quicker then all of the rest with a covering. Basically I would recommend the chrome for anyone look for a silver chain. It has a coating to fight rust and looks more like a normal silver then it does a Chrome. It's what is on the mummy bike. If I could go back I would put a black ek mvxz chain on our bike though.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#12 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

Which chain is the best chain??? I love D.I.D and RK.. i have a RK GXW 520 black on black.. Very awesome!
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#13 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

There really isn't a "best".

If you want lightweight and race and don't mind replacing it more often. DID ERV3

If you want something lightweight and very long lasting then RK GXW

If you want something at a great price that will last a very long time and is a few ounces heavier then the ek mvxz. (This is what I would recommend for most people, or the rk gxw).

For the street guy (or track guy) who just wants the longest lasting chain or something to handle VERY high hp then the EK ZZZ it is without a doubt.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#14 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

View PostMotoMummy, on 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

There really isn't a "best".

If you want lightweight and race and don't mind replacing it more often. DID ERV3

If you want something lightweight and very long lasting then RK GXW

If you want something at a great price that will last a very long time and is a few ounces heavier then the ek mvxz. (This is what I would recommend for most people, or the rk gxw).

For the street guy (or track guy) who just wants the longest lasting chain or something to handle VERY high hp then the EK ZZZ it is without a doubt.

Thank you sir for great review!
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#15 CDNGSXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

View PostMotoMummy, on 03 December 2010 - 04:31 PM, said:

Just so you guys know. The chrome chain is very hard to get pictures of, but it's not really a chrome look. It looks more like a slightly more shiny silver. The silver/natural chain doesn't have a finish on it. It's exposed metal so it will rust quicker then all of the rest with a covering. Basically I would recommend the chrome for anyone look for a silver chain. It has a coating to fight rust and looks more like a normal silver then it does a Chrome. It's what is on the mummy bike. If I could go back I would put a black ek mvxz chain on our bike though.

I just bought the rk gxw silver chain. will this chain have the rust issue you talked about or are you refering to another one?

#16 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

The rk gxw silver has a coating on the outside plates so it won't rust all that easily. I was talking about the ek mvxz silver as it's a bare steel and has no coating over it. If it's bare steel then it will rust quicker then if it had a coating. Still a very good idea though to do proper chain maintenance by cleaning/lubing the chain.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

#17 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

View PostCDNGSXR, on 07 December 2010 - 02:59 AM, said:

I just bought the rk gxw silver chain. will this chain have the rust issue you talked about or are you refering to another one?

You might need to invest in some "Motorex Chain cleaner".. I have some. IT works great!! Makes my chain all brand new again!! Then ill take some Belray O ring white chain lube and put it on the chain after i clean it with Motorex
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#18 CDNGSXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

yeah im pretty anal on chain maintneance. I found the motul brand works nice.

#19 MikeSuzuki05

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

View PostCDNGSXR, on 19 December 2010 - 11:38 PM, said:

yeah im pretty anal on chain maintneance. I found the motul brand works nice.

me too... I like mine lubed real good!!! :hump
Posted Image
05 Suzuki GSXR600
03 Turbo Lexus IS300
03 Honda Ruckus
01 Honda Rebel
93 Nissan Hardbody P/U

#20 MotoMummy

Parts Bitch

• Administrators
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

For cleaning you can use wd40 or kerosene. These clean the chain, but do not lube it. For lubing I like the pj1 stuff a ton. no real fling and does a great job. I also use maxima chain wax, but prefer PJ1 a bit more.
Corey
-------
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users